Have you ever heard of the variety of purple haze carrots? I didn’t – I just discovered them in the supermarket and tried to find some information – and what I found was really great – these carrots are propositioned as the next superfood.
With the start with my food blog I completely found a new perspective looking at food – no matter if I go to local food markets, just for a walk or to the supermarket. I discover so many new things I want to share with you – like my latest spotting “purple carrots”.
These carrots have purple skinned roots, usually orange or white inside. The purple haze variety is so sweet and delicious and is believed to originate from Turkey, Middle and Far East. Studies claim so many positive effects; Antioxidants, Vitamins,… If you want to know more klick this link: CARROT MUSEUM
For my salad duo I had to grate and toss the purple with orange carrots. Enjoy the colorful summer salad with grilled meat, sausages or why not with a quiche?
- 1kg sweet orange carrots
- 500g purple haze carrots
For the dressing:
- 2 lemon, fresh pressed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Piri Piri seasoning
- a pinch of black pepper
- 20g coriander
- 7 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 7 Tablespoons olive oil
- Start with the dressing and mix all ingredients – aside from the olive oil – in a food processor. Process until well blended.
- Put the olive oil in the dressing and stir with a tablespoon until emulsified.
- Grate the carrots in a food processor. Transfer them in a large bowl and pour the dressing over the carrot salad and stir until coated.
- Decorate with coriander and serve chilled.